Mapo dofu

Mapo dofu

The first time I heard about mapo dofu (or tofu) was on a Runnyrunny999's video (I don't share the link because his recipes contain A LOT of animal products and I know some of you could be offended).
It wasn't an authentic version at all, and was really affordable. I used to skip the "meat part" and follow the rest of his instructions.

Since then, I've tried many different other mapo dofu recipes: from various declinations of Runny's recipe (by adding different kinds of vegetables), the extremely oily stew I had in a restaurant (a nice place in Brussels called Meishi: they have some veg' options and even thought their mapo dofu is a bit oily, it tastes good) to the version I'm about to share here.

This mapo tofu version is the one I'm currently favoring. I think it's  some way closer to the Chinese original recipe since I choose to use Sichuan pepper rather than sriracha sauce to make it spicy. It brings the flavor to something completely different and unique!

Ingredients:

- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 piece of ginger
- 1 onion
- 1ts Sichuan pepper
- 1/3 medium firm tofu block
- 1tbs soybean paste
- 1tbs soy sauce
- water
- oil

Instructions:

In a pot, heat a little bit of oil and put minced garlic, ginger and onion. Let's sauté a little bit and then, add Sichuan pepper. Add tofu cut in cubes and cover with a little bit of hot water. Let it cook for about 5 to 10 minutes. Pour soy sauce and turn off the heat. With a strainer, dissolve soybean paste into your dish. Combine well.

Now your mapo dofu  is ready to be served on a rice bowl ("Mapodon") and garnished with sesame seeds and cilantro (or scallions).

Comments

Popular Posts